Asylum is a long term project I am currently developing. Over the years it has going through many changes including engines, from Dark Basic Pro, Unity 3D, Unreal Engine 4 and finally GameMaker Studio 2. I have no time-scale on the project as I am taking my time to learn everything I need to know about the engine and to make sure everything is as I like it.
Asylum is a top-down (overhead) story based adventure game. It is designed to be a game that requires the player to explore, investigate and solve environmental puzzles. That’s not to say you won’t be needing a weapon though.
Originally I had planned to create it as a first-person 3D game but the amount of resources and time required proved to be too much for a one-man team. And so I turned my attention to creating an atmospheric 2D version instead.
Check back here regularly to see new work-in-progress update and screenshots.
See more Asylum - Ascent from Madness
Lots of success for Asylum today. With the lighting all sorted I can plough ahead with the core game, very exciting. I’ve made a few changes to the initial flow of the floor because I felt that giving the player the thirst issue straight away was a little harsh, so I’ve relocated that challenge a… [Read More]
After finally finishing off the lighting situation it has been good to get back into the games actual flow. Well, actually I did make one further addition to the lighting. I added a dim light that I can use to subtly illuminate a room if I need to. Anyway, back to the games construction… Today… [Read More]
Yet another post about those all important lights. My apologise, but this is the key element to the atmosphere of the game and it has to be done right. Last week I got to the point where I had resolved the bottleneck issue but had ended with a bug regarding the lighting of the doors.… [Read More]
As I reported yesterday there was a rather nasty bottleneck n the games performance. After using the profiler tools to work out why it was clear that the lighting wasn’t cleaning up as much as it should and the game was trying to deal with dozens of lights on every frame. So, my idea was… [Read More]
Today I wanted to focus a bit more on tweaking the flow of the game so far. I added a few more dialogue sequences to help guide the player through the initial water challenge, and I also made some modifications to the noise filter to ensure it fades in and out better. I’ve added a… [Read More]